I don’t know Jared Wilson, but what he has written at his blog is, I think, gold.
Here’s what he wrote at The Gospel-Driven Church:
This stuff is really innovative! It is completely “outside the box”! Implementing some of these radical approaches to church ministry and programming may be risky and controversial, but they may just revolutionize the spirit of your congregation and take your ministry to the next level.
1. Sing hymns.
2. Preach through a book of the Bible.
3. Talk about sin.
4. Celebrate the Lord’s Supper more frequently.
5. Have a Scripture reading in the service.
6. Transition creative content from aping popular commercials and other media to creating your own, wholly original content.
7. Read, study, and teach theology.
8. Put as much effort and resources into men’s ministry as you do women’s. On the flipside, pair up younger women with wise, older women in mentoring relationships with the same conviction you have about men being in accountability and mentoring partnerships.
9. Hire from within.
10. In promotional material, use actual photos of actual people in your community.
11. Preach the Gospel.
I found this link at the blog of the Internet Monk. I haven’t read too much at Wilson’s blog, but I’m going back later. For the time being, those eleven ‘out of the box’ innovations reflect accurately my own thoughts (with the exception that #’s 6 & 10 have very little applicability to my congregation at the time). Thanks Jared.
Soli Deo Gloria!